Tuesday, June 7, 2011

best slow cooker recipe ever

Every other Tuesday is grocery shopping day. Brian gets home from work and takes a shower, then we load Joseph, the big bags, and the coupons into the car and off we go. We get home an hour later and I feed Joseph while Brian puts away all the food. After all that, who wants to actually have to come up with an idea for dinner and then make it? So a few months ago, I got the idea that I'd start doing slow cooker recipes on shopping days.

It was a brilliant idea.

It's SO much easier to come home and just eat. And I've been trying different recipes, but I absolutely HAVE to share this one. It was so simple, so easy, so delicious-smelling and so delicious-tasting, that I can't wait to make it again.

Courtesy of the 101 Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook.

Italian pork chops:

Place pork chops into cooker. (I used two frozen pork steaks. They were cheaper.)

Pour a bottle of Italian dressing over pork chops. (For some reason, we had three different bottles of Italian dressing, all opened, in our fridge. Desperately needed to use some up. That's why I picked this recipe.)

Cook on low for about six hours. (Okay, so the recipe said for 8-10 hours, but I think they would have been mush by then, and I even used frozen ones. Plus, I didn't remember to start it until around 1:00, so I put it on high for a couple hours and then turned it down.)

That's it. Really! That's it! We had it over rice and scooped the juices over it, plus a little asparagus steamed in the microwave for three minutes. Yum, yum, yum. When I think of pork chops, they always seem to be a little chewy or tough, but these were fall-apart tender. I went to turn one over while they were cooking and it fell into two pieces, it was so soft.

Ah, deliciousness. I love the slow cooker.

2 comments:

  1. A present for you in return: http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/
    My favorite so far has been the zuppa toscana soup. Turned out just like Olive Garden's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, that site looks awesome. Now I have lots of ideas for future shopping days, yum!

    ReplyDelete