Monday, March 14, 2011

pet peeve

Just have to share this. I go to the recipe site Allrecipes.com every day to see what their recipe of the day is. If I like it, I'll save it for later. I've found some really good ones on there! The site is not perfect though. I looked and looked to find a recipe for the sauce for Hawaiian Haystacks and eventually found it on another site. They also (at last check) don't have any recipes for wheat berries. They do have a cool feature where you can input ingredients you have and which ones you'd like to exclude, and they'll give you a list of what matches. So, not perfect, but I still like 'em. I usually read the ratings, but it is rare that someone makes it exactly as stated. Yet they'll still rate the recipe low, but it's according to the changes they made. So I was quite happy when I came across this review for today's recipe, Lemon Cream Pasta with Chicken. (Quoted in its entirety and I restrained myself and didn't edit.)

"Ya know what bugs me? So many people down rate a recipe and post all of the alterations they made and don't even try the recipe as written and the recipe it's self gets a lower grade than it deserves! I made this recipe just as written and it was absolutely wonderful!! Delicious, perfectly balanced flavors and perhaps the idea of baking the chicken is to reduce the fat from pan cooking in oils. The idea of cooking the pasta in the chicken broth with the seasons and lemon juice is brilliant because it really holds in the flavor! Wonderful, We love it!! Not to be petty, but it's really rediculous how so many discredit a recipe they don't even truly try because they make all of the changes, they're only rating their own recipes. Kudos for sharing this recipe, it's great!! Five stars from my family"

Amen, sistah. Here here. 

3 comments:

  1. Don't you read things like this an automatically start grading it? Too funny. The curse of being a teacher I suppose ;)

    *Hahah! I am assuming the poor writing is your pet peeve, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan and I frequently use that site as well, his pet peeve is the same but also the opposite. He (and I) hate that people tell you how differently they did it, but rate the recipe really high....how do you know it is good if you didn't actually make it?! I guess now that I think about it we have also noted bad ratings when the recipe wasn't followed and been annoyed by that...either way, its annoying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I was originally referring to the annoying way people have of rating recipes they didn't make, but writing full of mistakes is HUGE on my pet peeve list. And Robin, I agree...the opposite trend of rating is just as bad!

    ReplyDelete