Friday, December 10, 2010

Reading A-Z

I've been looking for some new things to read recently and came across quite a few lists of what are proclaimed as the "Top 100 Novels of All Time" and such. Here are some examples:
Time's Top 100
100 best novels by Modern Library
 I haven't read a lot of them. As a teacher, I started offering extra credit to my students when they read books from the AP English suggested reading list:
APliteraturebyauthor
I've read maaaaaaybe a fourth of these.

And since September, I've been in a non-fiction book club and have had my world expanded through reading these books:

1491

Freakonomics

and...

Skeletons on the Zahara.

Also, Meg recommended a series to me,  http://www.rangersapprentice.com, and I thought the first book was a little cliche but each one has gotten better since then. I'm in the middle of the series now and looking forward to getting to the library soon where the next two are waiting for me.

So, my question is now, what should be next? I know I'll finish the Ranger's Apprentice series and continue with the non-fiction because of my book club, but what else should round out my reading? I decided to add more of the "classics" to my pile, so I put The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow on hold at the library. I'm considering going through the alphabet in titles...what are your suggestions? I'd love ideas of books you read that surprised you, were emotional, made you think, or just stuck with you. Or, ideally, all of the above. :) Fiction or not, adult or juvenile, all are welcomed...share the treasures you've found!

5 comments:

  1. This is a good idea! I'll try to think about it some more, but for now, I'm in the middle of reading the Mitford series books by Jan Karon. I may have stolen them from mom. Anyway, they are great for some light, feel-good reading that has a touch of Christian fiction (the main character is an Episcopalian priest) and lots of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Caldini. After reading this book I began to see and protect myself from all the manipulation that goes on in human society.

    For a New Liberty by Murray Rothbard. This book completely changed my views on government and opened my mind to a better form of society based on the principle of non-aggression.

    Linchpin by Seth Godin. I've listened to this book at least 4-5 times. If you want to be an artist that changes people instead of a cog in a machine, this book is for you.

    The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature by Steven Pinker. A friend said this book totally changed his view of human nature. I have started reading it, but haven't completed it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good, I just got done with Mockingjay and needed something new as well. I think I will start reading from the AP list. Thanks Miss! Good luck in your search!
    (Just for fun, The 39 Clues was pretty fun.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also two books by Jared Diamond: Collapse and Guns, Germs and Steel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked that Ender's Game was on the top 100 modern novels list. I really enjoyed this series by Orson Scott Card and this book has interesting political and social truths in it. If you haven't read it yet, do!

    ReplyDelete